For the last couple of years, I’ve been really excited about Valentine’s Day. I think it’s mainly because Valentine’s Day provides something to celebrate in the middle of February, when winter seems to reign supreme and it feels like spring is never coming.
However this year, I’m actually enjoying winter, you guys. Maybe it’s because I have been working to intentionally shift my perspective regarding this frigid season (by creating that Winter Manifesto free printable a few weeks ago), or maybe it’s also how mild our winter has been so far… I’d like to think it’s some of both.
Maybe we don’t have a big party, or a even a big fancy date night, but Valentine’s Day provides a chance to create something beautiful in the midst of what sometimes feels like an unbeautiful season. Which is the whole reason I made that Winter Manifesto in the first place.
I don’t know whether you like to decorate for Valentine’s Day, throw parties, or just sit at home in your pjs watching a girly movie with your man (who we are assuming in this scenario loves you enough to watch girly movies… or secretly likes them himself), but here are some fun ideas I found lately that might help you emerge from the wintery stupor of February:
- This party (It’s elaborate, it’s pretty, and I want to go to there. Click the pic to go there yourself.)
- This simple adorable mantle (click the pic to find the post featuring this and a bunch of other really cute Valentine’s Decor ideas… some are over the top, but it’s still fun!)
- This just looks fun, and you could use these any time- not just for Valentine’s.
Those are just a few fun ideas to brighten your day and maybe get you a smidgen more excited about life. But if you need some real loving, some true encouragement, here are some links to things that have encouraged me lately:
- If you haven’t visited gracelaced.com and heard from Ruth Simmons, go read about her story of visiting Ecuador, children sponsored through Compassion International, and watching a Quechua girl get her first set of paints: Ruth paints beautiful pieces herself, and I love reading her posts on Instagram. You can find her at @gracelaced. Look at this gorgeous print! Anyone who sponsors a child during the Compassion Bloggers trip to Ecuador gets this print for free!!! (Go to her post and scroll down to the bottom for the details.)
- I love this list of prayers by Emily P. Freeman at her blog, chattingatthesky.com
- This print from my shop. I don’t know if it’s weird to share something I created as encouragement, but I recently caught the last 75% of this movie on TV, which was like, the highlight of my week. It’s a bold message. And really, it’s a biblical message. We are to be courageous as disciples of Christ, and full of love and kindness for others. That’s hard to do, but it’s good. It reminds me of Colossians 4:4-6
And pray that I may speak, as I should, in a way that makes the message clear. Behave wisely toward outsiders, making full use of every opportunity- let your conversation always be gracious and interesting, so that you will know how to respond to any particular individual.”
I don’t always feel equipped to respond to every individual, but trusting in the Lord gives me courage, knowing that my job is to be kind and godly towards everyone. Not that I always do a great job of this, but that through his grace I get another opportunity to do so.
I hope this was a mix of frivolity and encouragement today. And I pray that you will feel some light trickle in to your soul today, so you can go out and be courageous and kind, gracious and interesting.
Let’s make February lovely together!